(VA No. WFP CO Nepal/Doti SO-2016-E-09)
“Qualified female candidates and candidates from minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply”.
External Vacancy Announcement(Re-advertisement)
Deadline for applications: 10 May 2016
Post Title: Engineer
Grade: SB IV, SC-8 (equivalent to NO-A)
Duty Station: Doti
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC)
Required no: One (1)
Duration: 12 months (renewable)
Under the overall supervision of the WFP Nepal Country Director and the direct supervision of Programme Policy Officer (Head of Sub Office), Doti and technical supervision of Engineering Section, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
- Provide technical guidance and technical support in the construction of micro infrastructures in support of Programme Unit and Engineer Section.
- Contribute towards the analysis of project proposals to enable effective decision making on project technical feasibility.
- Coordinate to facilitate the technical backstopping and monitoring support to partners construction activities.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with internal and external clients in the Far Western Region to effectively meet clients’ expectations.
- Provide engineering and project management services, apply best practices, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting on outputs to facilitate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Participate in technical or design review, exchange of knowledge and experience, keeping abreast of construction and engineering technologies, to facilitate implementation of innovative engineering solutions.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of risks.
- Contribute to the implementation of WFP Policies, standards, norms and practices ensuring compliance with wider WFP policies, procedures, guidelines and operations.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, CP and local Govt staff with in specific to technical area.
- Provide specialized expertise and contribute towards the development of project activities, plans and processes within the specific technical area of work ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Provide assistance to programme monitoring staff within a range of specific and/or defined programme areas to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a variety of elaborated reports and substantial data analysis (e.g. resource utilization, programme status, performance) and make recommendations to supervisors, ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Assist with managing the SO staff, providing advice, guidance and training, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Represent the Sub Office when HoSO is absent.
- Other as required by HoSO & Engineering Section.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
- Has worked effectively under supervision on a large number of varied design and construction projects and taken responsibility for work elements which have been assigned.
- Has worked in Humanitarian projects demonstrating knowledge of engineering specializations in relation to seismic mitigation, rural infrastructure, effects of monsoons, or environmental requirements.
- Has worked with UN Agencies and NGOs for a minimum of 6 months
- Has experience in working in the Western Region of Nepal
- Has participated in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
- Has implemented programmes with increased level of responsibility.
- Has provided input to policy discussions.
- Has a minimum of five (5) years working in the Construction industry since graduation
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: First University degree in Civil Engineering or related Engineering discipline hold or be eligible for Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognized equivalent by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority.
- Language: Fluent, both reading and writing, in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Is willing to live in Far Western Nepal for a minimum of 12 months
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified Nepalese nationals are requested to submit an updated and duly signed UN Personal History form (P.11), available onhttp://www.un.org.np/jobs/locals and from the WFP offices in Nepal (Kathmandu, Nepalgunj, Damak and Doti). The application can be sent either by email to email@example.com or in hard copy in a sealed envelope marking the position “Application for the post of Engineer” and quoting the VA number to the following address No Later than 10 May 2016.
WFP Nepal Country Office
Chakupat, Patan Dhoka Road
P.O. Box 107
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for a test and/or interview.
The organization reserves the right to cancel or postpone the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
Date of issue of External Vacancy Announcement: 04 May 2016