Position: Civil Engineer
Location: Bajura District
Application Deadline: March 9, 2020
Starting Date: April 2020
Duration of Contract: One year with the possibility of extension
Gross Salary: 846,003/annum (commensurate upon qualification and experience)
Good Neighbors International (GNI) is an international, non-profit humanitarian organization established in 1991 and working in 35 countries around the world. It is headquartered in South Korea. GNI has fundraising offices in the USA, Korea, and Japan, and an International Cooperation Office in Geneva. GNI currently implements 200 community development projects (CDPs), covering a variety of areas including rural development, income generation, health, water, sanitation and hygiene, child education, protection, disaster risk reduction as well as advocacy and network building.
Good Neighbors International (GNI) Nepal has been working in Nepal since 2002 with the objective of improving lives of the poor people especially children through education, child protection, and income generating activities, health, WASH, and disaster risk reduction. GNI Nepal has been operating its activities in 19 districts.
GNI Nepal is implementing Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) Project in Tribenu Municipality, Badimalika Municipality, Budhiganga Municipality, Gaumul Rural Municipality and Chhededaha Rural Municipality of Bajura district under the funding of KOICA. The major aim of this project is advancing right to health of adolescent girls through improved MHM environment from 2020 to 2022.
Engineer will be stationed at Bajura to implement the project to meet the quality standards within allocated time frame.
- Conduct feasibility survey, detail survey of various infrastructures to be constructed.
- Plan the task break down, project implementation time, cost of resources by coordinating with the supervisor.
- Assist the supervisor for construction related plan.
- Develop technical resources (SOPs, manuals) to guide GNI Nepal WASH infrastructure interventions, drawings from best practices, along with field specific observations
- Define reference standards to be adopted in the planned WASH infrastructure
B. Coordination and Communication:
- Conduct meeting with school authority, school management committee, supervisor and subordinates as and when required.
- Conduct meeting with the line agencies, government and non-government organization, private sector and local intellectuals in the village/ward to identify problems and prioritization within the project and its target communities.
- Form construction committee, organise field level agreement and segregate responsibility of the committee member according their position. Motivate school management committee to develop ownership of the project.
- Brief technical part of the project to project coordinator, board members, district line agency, partner organization, and stakeholders on plan, progress and strategy of the program unit.
C. Documentation and Reporting
- Develop Bills of Quantities (BoQs), and tender documents
- Prepare and launch tender bidding procedure for construction contractor(s)
- Develop clear infrastructure monitoring tools (e.g. checklists)
- Verify bills of construction site, assist to prepare activity approval documents to the concerned authority by providing necessary information regarding the concerned construction work.
- Prepare and compile reports related to construction site daily, weekly and monthly to the direct supervisor and prepare working schedule for reporting, implementation and work completion in time.
- Participate the regular periodic infra related meeting and submit the reports to the supervisor as per the work progress.
- Listing out the materials, tools, equipment and fittings needed for project.
- Monitor and supervise the construction project to ensure if the procedure, materials and equipment comply with approved documents and specification.
- Provide information and take necessary feedback from the independent monitoring team from funding partner.
D. Design, Estimate and Specifications
- Able to prepare civil designs of required structures, estimation, specification for the type of works and structures.
- Communicate properly regarding the type of design, estimation and specifications with government bodies, construction committee, sub-ordinates and labours.
- Breakdown and segregate of the materials and skilled/unskilled labour required for each scheme and each item of work to manage the construction site and skilled/unskilled labour from community.
E. Field Visit, Monitoring and Capacity Building
- Visits the construction site to ensure the construction activities are going as per design and estimation.
- Strengthen the capacity of School Management Committee, Water User Committee, Community Technicians for the construction, repair and maintenance of structures in line with disaster resilience and sustainability.
- Attend different trainings and workshops as well as capacitate the subordinates who help in implementation of construction.
- Site layout, grading, utility design, etc implementation at the site as per the design.
- Monitor each level of works along with construction committee ensuring the quality of materials and workmanship as per the design, estimate and specifications.
- Physically verify the stock of construction materials for construction, reconstruction and renovation works.
- Work closely with construction committee for quality implementation of construction, reconstruction and renovation works as per the agreed plan.
G. Safety and Security
- Responsible for day to day site safety and security management
- Abide by security procedures and policies and report any breaches
- Participate in personal safety training as required
- Be aware of emergency procedures in a response
H. Other Duties
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as instructed by Project Manager and Infrastructure Department.
- Responsible for day to day site safety and security management
- Minimum two years working experience in Building Construction and other WASH related activities (tender procedure, design, planning, implementation, budgeting, reporting, evaluation and monitoring)
- Familiar with current government policies in construction of public building preferably in public schools including WASH activities
- Independent, self-starter and creative
- Project management and supervision skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work without supervision and contribute to team building environment
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
- Able to use a computer, with word processing and spreadsheets, (e.g. Microsoft Office)
- Able to use AutoCAD
- License of professional engineer
- Valid two-wheeler driving license
- Desire to travel and work at remote and hard to reach places
- Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering
- Locals, especially women and members of ethnic or marginalized communities are encouraged to apply for this position
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be notified for the interview
- Canvassing at any stage of the recruitment process shall lead to automatic disqualification of the candidate.
All applications (Employment Application Form and a detailed CV) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.