Senior Technical Specialist - Animal Health
The Senior Technical Specialist – Animal Health will be responsible for activities related to strengthening the capacity and systems for antimicrobial resistance (AMR)/antimicrobial use (AMU) surveillance in animals.
Final deadline for application is 5:00 p.m. February 10, 2020. This is local position and only Nepali Citizens are eligible to apply.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Provide technical assistance to collect, assemble, and review data related to AMR and AMU patterns in animals (e.g., AMR trends for the zoonotic bacteria/antibiotic combinations in broiler and layer populations).
- Provide technical assistance /participate in animal health investigations (e.g., source, antibiotic use, and spread of infection).
- Provide technical assistance /participate in mapping/investigating/assessing antibiotic distribution and use in food livestock.
- Provide technical assistance for assessments and improvements of Central Veterinary Laboratory (CVL), microbiology laboratories/surveillance sites for animal health.
- Provide technical assistance for sample collection, coordination, and transport.
- Conduct supportive supervision and monitoring of, and onsite coaching and mentoring to CVL and animal AMR/AMU surveillance sites.
- Support Senior Technical Advisor to provide technical assistance to establish and make functional Animal AMR/AMU technical working group (TWG). Provide support to conduct and participate in Animal AMR/AMU TWG meeting.
- Share the findings including AMR/AMU trends to Animal AMR/AMU TWG quarterly and annually.
- Provide technical assistance to prepare and submit AMR/AMU-related data and report as per the national, regional and global standard and requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in animal science or other relevant subject with 8 years of experience in animal health, animal science, animal production, veterinary technology, or a related area or Masters’ degree with 5 years of similar experience is considered equivalent.
- Registered Veterinary Technician/Technologist is preferred.
- Livestock management (e.g., nutrition, care, treatment, and health) with an emphasis on poultry.
- Biosafety and biosecurity and how to apply principles.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with livestock producers and animal industry stakeholders.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in an IT environment.
- Strong coordination, communication, and interpersonal aptitudes.
- AMR/AMU and disease surveillance and other relevant health programs (strongly preferred).
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance.
Click here to Apply