Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Employer: Build Change
Job Location: Based in Kathmandu, with travel to other areas of Nepal
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a nonâ€profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs safe buildings, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia, after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami, and since has expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, the Philippines and Nepal. Build Change has trained more than 23,000 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, and has provided technical assistance for more than 47,000 safer homes, impacting an estimated 235,000 people.
Build Change is currently looking to build capacity in preparation for upcoming training activities during reconstruction following the 2015 earthquakes in Nepal. For this purpose, Build Change is seeking a group of competent professional with experience in construction training in Nepal. In addition, the successful applicants will have proven leadership and teamwork abilities and a demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical persons.
· Manage team meetings and ensure coordination between team members
· Coordinate training activities and manage relations between team members.
· Travel to remote areas of Nepal and observe training activities.
· Maintain clear communication with the Training Coordinator and technical training team, reporting progress and any issues that may arise
· Help keep the team focused and on track
· Facilitate problem solving and collaboration between team members
· Perform project reporting duties as required on a project basis.
· Undertake other assignments or tasks as requested by your supervisor or required for contributing to the success of the team.
· Strong working knowledge of construction training practices in Nepal
· Demonstrated experience working successfully in a team environment
· Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of stone masonry, confined masonry, reinforced masonry, and timber buildings for both new and retrofit buildings
· Minimum 5 years’ experience in Construction Training
· Bachelor’s degree or TSLC level education in engineering or related field
· Training of Trainers Certification desired
· Fluent English and Nepali language skills
· No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor
Submit your cover letter and resume in English via email to with “Technical Training Team Leader” in the subject line or visit our website at www.buildchange.org/about/careers and click on the link for this position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Telephone enquires will not be entertained.
Build Change saves lives in earthquakes and typhoons. Our mission is to greatly reduce deaths, injuries and economic losses caused by housing and school collapses due to earthquakes and typhoons in emerging nations.