Job Title: Assistant Activities Coordinator
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Employer: Build Change
Job Location: Based in Kathmandu, with frequent travel to rural areas of Nepal
Start Date: Immediately
Term: 6 months
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a nonâ€profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs safe buildings, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia, after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami, and since has expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, the Philippines and Nepal. Build Change has trained more than 23,000 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, and has provided technical assistance for more than 47,000 safer homes, impacting an estimated 235,000 people.
Build Change is currently seeking a highly motivated person to join their construction training team in the position of Activities Coordinator. This position requires a highly organized, competent professional with experience in rural development and construction in Nepal. In addition, the successful applicants will have proven leadership and teamwork abilities and a demonstrated ability to communicate with a wide variety of persons from various backgrounds.
· Assist the Activities Coordinator in organizing project implementation areas by negotiating all necessary agreements with local authorities, partner agencies and government departments
· Assist in organizing all procurement requests and needs of ongoing and future activities in the field
· Coordinate with technical team leaders to organize new training courses in the Build Change calendar
· Maintain and update an ongoing “to-do” list for the program, delegate tasks to office program assistants, seeing them through to completion
· Maintain clear communication with technical and training team leaders as well as partner organizations, reporting progress and any issues that may arise
· When necessary, represent Build Change at official agency, government, and shelter cluster meetings.
· Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services required for rural training activities in Nepal
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders from various backgrounds
· Experience working with local government agencies in Nepal
· Strong organizing and coordination skills
· Knowledge of common principles and practices related to earthquake resistant construction in Nepal
· Willingness to travel to rural areas of Nepal
Submit your cover letter and resume in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assistant Activities Coordinator” in the subject line or visit our website www.buildchange.org/about/careers and click on the link for this position to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Telephone enquires will not be entertained.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY