Job Title: Deputy Training Coordinator
Industry: Non-Profit/International Development
Employer: Build Change
Job Location: Based in Kathmandu with frequent travel to other areas of Nepal
Start Date: Immediately
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a nonâ€profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs safe buildings, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia, after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami, and since has expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, the Philippines and Nepal. Build Change has trained more than 25,300 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 31 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created almost 12,000 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 48,700 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 245,026 people.
Build Change is currently seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Deputy Training Coordinator. This position requires a highly organized and competent professional to ensure the smooth and effective functioning of training events and special projects throughout Nepal. The Deputy Training Coordinator will manage, design, develop, coordinate, and conduct large or small scale training programs throughout rural areas of Nepal.
• Demonstrate good quality masonry, concrete mixing, barbending, timber joinery, materials quality inspection and testing, and other construction skills during training courses and on the construction site
• Recruit, mentor, and train Build Change local staff and staff of partner agencies to provide hands-on training to builders, homeowners, and material producers
• Improve and expand on training curricula and resources for disaster-resistant design and construction of homes and schools, targeted at homeowners, builders, construction professionals, and engineers.
• Incorporate competency-based training into build Change Nepal’s training philosophy and into training designs.
• Expand the training methodology to include training of Mobile Extension Workers tasked with disseminating key messages associated with incentives targeting homeowners.
• Work closely with the Build Change community outreach team and engineering team to develop adequate messages, incentives, and diffusion mechanisms.
• Establish mechanisms for inciting the participation of women in construction training and in outreach activities related to Build Back Safer.
• Work with other program staff to schedule, oversee, and report on training programs.
• Maintain and expand relationships with local and national governments, partner agencies, and academic institutions.
• Prepare monthly, project, and final reports as needed.
• Strong working knowledge of construction materials and practices in Nepal
• Demonstrated management experience working successfully in a team environment
• Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of stone masonry, confined masonry, reinforced masonry, and timber buildings for both new and retrofit buildings
• Bachelor’s degree in related construction/engineering field
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in vocational construction training in Nepal
• Fluent English and Nepali required
• No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor
Interested candidates are requested to send an application letter and a recent CV via email to email@example.com by mentioning the title of the position they are applying for in the subject line or click on the below link and follow instructions to apply.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed daily and suitable candidates may be invited for test and interview prior to the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for test and interview.