Mott MacDonald is an employee-owned management, development and engineering consultancy serving the public and private sector around the world, with more than 16,000 staff worldwide.
Our International Development Services Unit, IDS, operates portfolios within the international development sectors of Environment, Climate, Water, Roads, Rural & Urban Development, Education, Health, Social and Economic Development in over 40 countries. Together we implement and manage projects in developing countries and emerging economies around the world, supporting national governments and municipalities in policy, planning, project design and delivery. We are committed to support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and to provide our expertise to improve the lives of people in need.
Mott MacDonald is managing the DFID-funded programme: ‘Purnima: UK Support to Post-Earthquake Recovery in Nepal’ in four Districts (Gorkha, Dhading, Nuwakot, and Rasuwa). This programme aims to achieve long-term positive change in the lives of people in earthquake-affected regions of Nepal.
The implementation phase of the programme commenced in July 2018 with a 4.5-year duration. It comprises five Output Areas:
- Support and capacity building to Government at central, district and local level in reconstruction planning.
- Reconstruction of rural infrastructure, including water supply, foot trails, footbridges, schools, public buildings, and potentially other types of infrastructure.
- Analysis of, and interventions to address, constraints to the private sector, including access to finance, supply of labour, materials and transport in the construction sector.
- Mobilizing and managing a Challenge Fund to leave no-one behind in the reconstruction effort.
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning
The role of Office Manager will sit within the Project Management & Administration Team which is responsible for ensuring that all operational and administrative aspects of the project run effectively. This role will be based in the Kathmandu Office, with travel to Districts as required.
- - Oversee the running of office systems required for the smooth operations and support of the Programme;
- - Ensures the office complies with MM Group standards and local legislation;
- - Undertakes and reviews office risk assessments, identifying hazards and completing actions to mitigate their risk;
- - Ensure COVID 19 Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is followed in overall office premises, official events and field trips;
- - Arranges emergency procedures including fire, security and first aid for all project offices;
- - Undertakes monthly inspections of the office in coordination with Front Desk Officer;
- - Assists the Senior Ops Manager with the production of the Office Continuity Plan;
- - Ensures staff and visitors are made aware of, and follow, Health, Safety and Security procedure; manages staff awareness of office improvement actions;
- - Ensures all accidents and near misses, plus Health, Safety and Security, Environmental and Information Security incidents are reported, recorded and investigated; liaising with local enforcement bodies as necessary;
- - Cooperating with Safety Managers in monitoring Health, Safety and Security and Environmental performance;
- - Undertakes an annual Environmental Impact Assessment and an annual Local Environmental Practice Plan;
- - Engages competent office service suppliers and carries out due diligence on them using Insight 3PM; monitors office service supplier performance throughout the contract;
- - Manage all service contracts including, lease, internet, security, etc. and update tracker ensuring timely payments;
General Administration/Field Operations:
- - Supervise and backstop District Administrative Officers on overall Purnima field operations;
- - Ensure new staff are properly inducted on operations procedure;
- - Ensure staff exit and handing over process including asset returns;
- - Ensure logistic support for international visitors and oversee the visa and work permit process for MM Nepal Branch Office in coordination with Senior Operations Manager;
- - Ensure renewal of vehicle/motorbike registration and insurance including coordination with DFID focal person;
- - Support Snr. Operations Manager in audit as well as spot check process;
- - Uphold the ethics, transparency and accountability principles of the Project and Mott MacDonald;
- - Other duties as may be assigned by Senior Operations Manager;
- - Update procurement plan, oversee the procurement of goods and services ensuring compliance with DFID and Mott MacDonald procurement policies;
- - Ensure procurement tracker and invoices tracker are maintained well;
- - Establish and manage framework agreements with vendors for recurring goods and services;
- - Ensure due diligence on goods & supplies contractors (Exiger), proper documentation and online/physical archiving of procurement files;
- - Ensure transparent and competitive procurements are conducted and properly documented as required, and in compliance with company policy;
- - Manage list of preferred suppliers and maintain vendor database ensuring that all appropriate due diligence processes are followed, and that procurement is compliant with DFID and Mott MacDonald procurement policies;
- - Establish a good working relationship with local vendors;
- - Oversee overall asset and inventory management system for Purnima, ensure periodical verification are conducted on time and compilation of assets report to DFID in coordination with Snr. Operations Manager;
- - Manage overall information and communication technology across different programme offices including delegating authority for the installation, maintenance and support of computer communication networks;
- - Arrange and organise workstation for new staff including providing necessary equipment;
- - Ensure periodical repair and maintenance of all ICT equipment, electrical appliances, generators, etc;
- - Line Manage administrative staff in Kathmandu and field offices, provide supervisory support and backstopping where needed in coordination with Snr. Operations Manager;
- - Finalize workplan of team, monitor their daily task and ensure its completion in given timeline;
- - Conduct regular meetings with team to discuss about issues, concerns, updates, etc.
- - Provide a leadership support function to teams and motivate staff through encouragement to perform at their best;
- - Ensure performance reviews are conducted and provide feedbacks to staff.
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder and line manager.