The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is an international NGO that supports the building of democratic societies around the world. With funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), IFES Nepal provides technical assistance to the electoral cycle to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil society, governance and transparency.
IFES Nepal is seeking applications from qualified, dynamic and competent candidates for the position of Communications Officer. This position will be under the supervision of the IFES Nepal Country Director and will be full-time based in Kathmandu with occasional field visits.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the IFES Nepal Country Director and in coordination with the Election Commission, Nepal (ECN), IFES sub-grantees and the relevant IFES staff, the Communications Officer will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Prepare periodic reports and presentations on IFES' program work such as bi-monthly operations reports, event reports and other periodic publications on program developments;
- Communicate and coordinate with IFES Nepal staff to get updates and relevant program information for use in donor communications;
- Provide written translations of basic documents, presentations, or news articles from English to Nepali and Nepali to English;
- Manage IFES' social media initiatives, and support partner social media efforts; where possible, support the ECN through providing content to their website and social media posts, and inputs to the layout and functionality of the ECN’s website and social media pages;
- Assist in the design, implementation and monitoring of IFES Nepal’s support to the ECN’s Electoral Education and Information Centre (EEIC) team in civic, voter and electoral outreach;
- Coordinate with IFES’ Administrative Manager, supporting the logistics of IFES’ civic and voter education initiatives, including media procurement, materials production, events management and quality control;
- Ensure coordination in the development of civic and voter education materials for the ECN, CSO sub-grantees and other implementing partners (such as posters, leaflets, radio and television PSAs, and educator tools);
- Supervise and monitor audiovisual programming and productions for radio, television or online engagement, and interventions related to the ECN’s media center and press office;
- Support monitoring, reporting and evaluation of CSO activities; and
- Perform other related tasks as identified by Country Director and Deputy Country Director;
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor level qualification in relevant field.
- Minimum 4 years of demonstrable and relevant experience in journalism, communications, or social media. Experience working with international NGOs is preferable.
- Fluency in English and Nepali, both written and verbal, and excellent communication skills; ability to type in Nepali is a strong asset.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point etc.) and familiarity with designing software and tools such as Adobe Photoshop and InDesign; design skills are an asset.
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment and resourcefulness, and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Collaborative, team oriented individual who is willing and capable of working independently where necessary.
- Ability to prioritize, take direction, and remain organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
The position is open to Nepali nationals only. Qualified and interested candidates are requested to send their application and an updated CV with name of two references and contact details to: email@example.com. The application deadline is 4:00 PM, May 23, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and written test. Undue influence at any stage of the processes will lead to automatic disqualification. People with disabilities, women and candidates from marginalized groups are highly encouraged to apply.