The recent unprecedented economic growth of Asia has successfully contributed to poverty reduction in the region. However, this has increased growth and trade have multiplied demands on resources and are leading to severe environmental damages. Attention paid in the last decade to Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) in the Asian region, especially targeting to Micro and Small and Medium Enterprises that helps to address issues of environment and resource efficiencies along with economic growth. In the context of Nepal UN-Habitat with the support of SWITCH Asia is trying to address these needs.
After the devastating earthquake of 2015, Nepal is in the process of rebuilding. One of the challenges in this rebuilding is the rebuilding of traditional settlements with quality and sustainability. The overall objective of this Action is to promote Sustainable Tourism and Green Growth in Heritage Settlements of Kathmandu Valley, contributing to the overall SWITCH Asia objectives of promoting sustainable development, reducing poverty and contributing towards mitigating climate change. The project will focus on Bungamati and Pilachhen of Lalitpur Metropolitan City. Two specific objectives are embedded:
- Promoting SCP with heritage tourism sector stakeholders, including the policy makers of reconstruction, through (a) demonstration in the Bungamati settlement and (b) policy advice, dialogue and advocacy at Kathmandu Valley/Nepal level;
- Developing, and demonstrating in Bungamati and Pilachhen, tools for Green Growth for the heritage tourism sector, with a focus on sustainable rebuilding, entrepreneurship among women and youth, SME engagement and investment, product innovation and sector campaigns.
Communication Associate (part time)
The Communication Associate (CA) in close consultation with and guidance from the Team Leader and the Senior Programme Officer shall be required to support in planning, designing and implementing the communication activities of the Parya Sampada Project. The Communication Associate will work coordinating with project team and partners in designing and implementing communication plans of the programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
A. Support to Programme Communication Planning and Implementation
Guided by the overall project agreement between UN-Habitat and the European Union, support Team Leader and Senior Programme Officer in designing communication strategy of the project, coordinate with partner organisations, look into visibility and dissemination components of the project. More specifically, assist the Team Leader (TL) and Senior Programme Officer (SPO) in:
- To assist to develop communication work plan for programme objectives and implementation of the project communication activities and programmes
- To Assist to conduct communication need assessment and initiate and introduce new communication strategies and activities relevant for the project as guided by UN-Habitat and EU communication policies.
- Preparation of communication and promotional materials, project briefs and reports, discussion materials and news releases related to project activities
- Contribute to regular news update on web and other publications of the office.
- Conduct feedback surveys on information & communication activities and materials
- Promote Parya Sampada Project visibility through its programmes and initiatives to public through regular communication publications via local media.
- Coordinate the development and dissemination of Project findings, advocacy tools and other products using local and global networks such as SUD-Net and SWITCH Asia Network
- Support in other communication activities of UN-Habitat as advised by the Team Leader.
B. Documentation and Information Technology Support
- Maintain internal documentation system (both hard and soft copies);
- To assist to develop design and produce information materials;
- To assist to Develop plan for storage and dissemination of publications to relevant partners and its execution
- Documentation of all the outputs submitted by the partners under Cooperation Agreements
- Update internal "Intranet" information system on regular basis
- To assist to develop Newsletter and distribute among wider network to disseminate information related to the projects
- Coordinate with EU, UN-Habitat HQ and ROAP and United Nations IT task force for harmonization and ensure standardization
- Liaison and supervise the publication products through consultants and expert services to ensure the compliance of EU and UN-Habitat prescribed branding.
- Ensure and support Admin staff up-to-date inventory of IT hardware (such as serial number, manufacturer, model number, location, users etc
C. Perform other duties as assigned by the Team Leader and Sr. Programme Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Mass media/ Multi Media or related field.
|Knowledge and skills:
- Fluency in verbal and written communication skills in both English and Nepali
- Good human relations skills, especially the ability to relate to a wide range of team members and partners.
- Experience in project related area is an advantage
- An established track record in communications and media outreach, particularly for projects of similar nature.
- Basic knowledge and experience in green building technology is an advantage
- Progressive thinking, ability to work as part of a team and also to achieve work outputs with limited supervision, and a pro-active, energetic and innovative approach to work
- Ability to manage time in multi-tasking and conducting parallel activities, and to meet deadlines
- Experience and knowledge of the UN system or work in international agencies will be beneficial
|Years of experience:
- Minimum 3 years experience in communication.
- Excellent command of both spoken and written English and Nepali.
- Good working knowledge of computer programmes including Web design and management, MS Word, Excel and Power Point
How to Apply:
Submission of Application
Interested applicants are requested to submit their standard UN Personal History Form (P11) for project personnel with covering letter no later than 31 January 2020 by email to email@example.com stating the post on the subject line. Please download the UN Personal History Form (P11) from http://un.org.np/jobs/locals and select p11 form for project-personnel
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates, whose application respond to the above criteria, will be contacted. Telephone enquiries will not be entertained.