The recent unprecedented economic growth of Asia has successfully contributed to poverty reduction in the region. However, this has increased growth and trade have multiplied demands on resources and are leading to severe environmental damages. Attention paid in the last decade to Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) in the Asian region, especially targeting to Micro and Small and Medium Enterprises that helps to address issues of environment and resource efficiencies along with economic growth. In the context of Nepal UN-Habitat with the support of SWITCH Asia is trying to address these needs.
After the devastating earthquake of 2015, Nepal is in the process of rebuilding. One of the challenges in this rebuilding is the rebuilding of traditional settlements with quality and sustainability. The overall objective of this Action is to promote Sustainable Tourism and Green Growth in Heritage Settlements of Kathmandu Valley, contributing to the overall SWITCH Asia objectives of promoting sustainable development, reducing poverty and contributing towards mitigating climate change. The project will focus on Bungamati and Pilachhen of Lalitpur Metropolitan City. Two specific objectives are embedded:
- Promoting SCP with heritage tourism sector stakeholders, including the policy makers of reconstruction, through (a) demonstration in the Bungamati settlement and (b) policy advice, dialogue and advocacy at Kathmandu Valley/Nepal level;
- Developing, and demonstrating in Bungamati and Pilachhen, tools for Green Growth for the heritage tourism sector, with a focus on sustainable rebuilding, entrepreneurship among women and youth, SME engagement and investment, product innovation and sector campaigns.
The Administrative and Finance Officer (AFO), in close consultation with Sr. Programme Officer /Manager and guidance from the Team Leader/ UN-Habitat Habitat Programme Manager for Nepal, shall be required to plan, implement, and manage the Project’s Financial and Administrative task. The Administrative and finance Officer will also be responsible for overall operational of the programme and field office, supervision to operational staff, for overall monitoring of the programme, and for liaising with UNDP, UN OMT team, Partners, Donor and UN-Habitat ROAP/HQ UNON, auditor service provider.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure to maintain complete set of books of account according to the principle of accounting and update it on daily basis. Also keep record of the disbursement from UN-Habitat HQ made from UNDP on behalf of the UN-Habitat. Ensure accuracy of supporting documents;
- Ensure UN-Habitat operations systems are based on the internal control mechanism;
- Follow up on the activities and monitor advance balances of resource disbursed, verify availability of funds for programme and operations activities and recommend for changes in budget line if needed. And ensure the fund available for daily operations;
- Support and advise to preparation programme budget of the various projects and budget revision; ensure the required financial documents, which serve smooth programme and office operations
- Verify vouchers and process payments for all the financial transaction and liaise with UNDP country office if there is any queries;
- Ensure quality of financial reports for submission through the programme manager to donor as per the reporting schedule
- Reconcile the commitment, disbursement and expenses with UN-Habitat HQ System and UNDP
- Report to Programme Managers of the Income and Expenses and status of fund request release from respective donor; And provide required information to order in process;
- Manage and coordinate for partner’s audit exercise, prepare audit follow-up action plans, and ensure that the action plan is implemented;
- Response and coordinate with Auditor from UN-Habitat internal (IOS) and external ( BOA). And EU Verification mission
- Response and Coordinate with ROAP and HQ on the audit observation and to ensure and address audit observation.
- To review and analysis auditor question cost on the IPs audit and liaise with IPs and UN-Habitat programme to come with final question cost in concerning partial and evidence base.
- Maintain disaggregation of project budget allocations and expenditures from the perspective of project objectives and report to the programme manger
- Oversee and monitoring the financial and administrative management of district programmes including implementing partners;
- Prepare quarterly shadow budget for tracking the delivery of the programme;
- Oversee the contracts with implementing partners including governmental, non-governmental and service providers (individuals and companies);
- Keep abreast knowledge of financial rules and regulation of Nepal Government, UN-Habitat and Donor;
- Apply and advise to the staff members on UN-Habitat New Implementing Partners and ensure it is applying.
- Keep abreast knowledge of UMOJA (UN-Habitat ERP system) and sharing it to among staff.
- Recommended for good practice and cost saving in country level
- Ensure the compliance of all the provisions of guidelines regarding overall operations i. e personnel, procurement, financial and daily administration etc;
- Provide support to HPM and Regional Office on human resource and admin/finance policy formation as needed and provide feedback to the system.
- Oversee admin/finance staff regularly,
- Support HPM in implementing new policies, rules and regulations adopted by UN-Habitat, UN System and internalizing it at national level.
- Participate in selection process of partners and service providers and provide technical input in finance and administration;
- Prepare annual human resources and procurement (requisition) plans and implementing them;
- Coordinate and act as focal point for issues relating to human resources including recruitment and separation of national staff and consultants and ensure that it follows the UN rule and regulations;
- Backstop, monitor and provide orientation and technical assistance to the finance/administrative staff as well as implementation partners in the areas of financial and administrative arrangements, monitoring and reporting;
- Draw up specifications for the equipment required for procurement in close work with programme team as per guidelines;
- Oversees and update an inventory and ensure proper operation, maintenance and appropriate distribution of such equipment; conduct physical verification at least twice a year and report to UN-Habitat HQ as per the requirement;
- Ensure up to date records on non-expendable equipment (NEE), conduct physical verification at least once a year;
- Manage all correspondence related to administration and finance with UN-Habitat HQ and UNDP;
- Oversee the usage and maintenance of all equipment including vehicles;
- Supervise other support staff (Project /Finance/Logistic Assistants, Drivers, Guards, cleaner etc);
- Assist with the effective monitoring and application of lessons learnt to strengthen the administrative support to field and designated operations.
- Ensure safety and security office premises, staff members /dependence as per the UNDSS safety and security policy;
Represent in UN Operation Management Team in Nepal for UN common goal and advise and adopt UN harmonization approach
- Ensure harmonization in Human Resource Management
- Contribution on UN Joint common procurement process
- Ensure Gender Parity and GESI in office as guided by UN rules
- Valuable input UN Joint programme form UN-Habitat operational prospective
- Coordinate with ROAP and HQ about common UN Nepal Operational matter
- Carry out any other related responsibility assigned by the Habitat Programme Manager, and Programme Management Officer,
- Support other activities as required
- Master’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, public administration or related subjects.
|Knowledge and skills:
- Hands-on experience with UN or similar development programme or reputed private organization.
- Should possess an excellent financial accounting including auditing and reporting as well as exposure in project administration.
- Must have independent internal auditing skills.
- Knowledge of UNON, UNDP and UNOPS working procedures and UMOJA literacy would be an asset.
- Knowledge of UN’s rules and regulations related to administration and finance as well as other business processes would be an advantage.
|Years of experience:
- At least 6 years of relevant work experience
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in spoken and written English is required. For this particular post, fluency in Nepali language is also required.
- Must have excellent computer skills in (Windows, Word, Excel, and Power Point); should be able to operate financial packages independently.
How to Apply:
Submission of Application
Interested applicants are requested to submit their standard UN Personal History Form (P11) for project personnel with covering letter no later than 31 January 2020 by email to email@example.com stating the post on the subject line. Please download the UN Personal History Form (P11) from http://un.org.np/jobs/locals and select p11form for project-personnel
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates, whose application respond to the above criteria, will be contacted. Telephone enquiries will not be entertained.