The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The goal of the USAID funded Sajedhari - Support to Federalism (STF) project, implemented by Abt Associates is to provide technical assistance to the Government of Nepal (GoN) in transitioning from a unitary state to a federation of provinces with more effective, accountable, responsive and inclusive local governance. The key objectives of the STF Project are : (a) The GoN creates and implements sound policies and legislation that are informed by evidence, and empower, finance, and regulate provincial and municipal governments; (b) The targeted province and select municipal governments therein are more responsive, inclusive, accountable, transparent, and effective in decision making and delivering priority services to fulfilling core legal responsibilities; and (c) Citizens and civil society organizations in targeted geographic areas, including the historically marginalized, actively participate local decision-making and oversight.
Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and Administration (F&A) in Kathmandu, the Grants and Procurement Officer, will be responsible to manage Grants and Procurement of STF Project to be based in Kathmandu Office.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide direct management of grants awarded under the USAID Nepal Sajhedari project
- Oversee grants administration, compliance, and implementation procedures, and ensure compliance with USAID procurement regulations and local laws
- Participate in finalizing and/or updating the Project’s Grants Manual, as needed
- Conduct grants solicitation and advertisements; design and prepare grant review guidelines for evaluators, including scoring formats; review grant applications and convene grant committee meetings; participate in negotiations with applicants (including reviewing grant terms and conditions), prepare the negotiation memoranda and awards
- Develop and implement grant tracking system to ensure timely and correct execution of all grant agreements
- Strive to make the grant management processes as efficient and effective as possible. Monitor grantee budget utilization, collect and compile their financial reports, follow-up on upcoming fund releases and provide timely advice
- Maintain accurate, timely, and complete electronic database and hard copies of grant/grantee files and modifications, as well as grantee data and reports. Establish checklists and timetables to meet deadlines
- Keep relevant staff informed of reporting deadlines. Serve as liaison between the grantee and the Program. Build strong relationships with both finance and Program staff on grant deliverables
- Build the capacity of grantees to effectively manage grants and comply with grant requirements in areas such as technical and financial reporting, and in identifying donor (USAID) key compliance requirements
- Review monthly grantee reports/deliverables, verify accuracy, completeness, and allowable, allocable and reasonable costs. Share monthly updates with Program technical lead and grantee’s focal person
- Review vouchers from grantees and ensure that all payment requests are supported and justified by appropriate documentation
- Facilitate technical approval and payment of grantees, ensure successful and compliant close-out of grant activities, and work closely and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders
- Collaborate with the monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) team to obtain or provide grant/grantee-relevant data
- Organize/provide ongoing support and training to strengthen grantee financial, management, and governance systems, as well as operational policies and manuals
- Make periodic visits to grantee organizations and institutions
- Maintain a file system for procurements to allow for efficient documentation and process audits
- Maintain files, including proposal, evaluation, award documents, official contracts and correspondence of all procurements, following policy and local law
- Assist with preparation of Terms of Reference and/or technical specifications for materials, goods, and services, and procurements. Ensure presentation of sufficient selection that meets requirements of quality assurance, delivery, and transparency
- Prepare requests for quotations, negotiate, conduct analysis, and recommend vendors for delivery of goods and materials
- Assist with invitations to potential vendors to compete for offers for the purchase of goods or services including under grants, either through direct, bid invitation, or another mechanism that ensures high standards of transparency
- Participate in evaluation committees for proposals submitted by the various vendors, according to the solicited terms of reference and regulations
- Provide ongoing support to the Director of Finance and Administration
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Logistics, Procurement or related field
- At least Two years of experience managing USAID awarded grants. Proven expertise in USAID Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) highly desirable
- Strong relationship management skills. Must be able to manage relationships with internal and external program stakeholders and partners
- Good computer skills, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members
- Ability and track record of working as part of a busy team and working effectively under pressure to tight deadlines Excellent written and spoken English required
- ( 2+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Apply Link: https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=AbtPROD&career_job_req_id=62100