Location (base): PIN Nepal Country Programme, Kathmandu, Nepal
Reports to: Head of Systems and Operations
Expected joining date: ASAP
Contract End Date: December 31, 2019, (subject to renewal upon performance evaluation)
Programme/ Department: Logistics
No. of opening: 1
People in Need (PIN) is a non-governmental, non-profit, international organization founded in the Czech Republic in 1992. PIN arrived in Nepal as part of a humanitarian response to the April 25, 2015 earthquake. Since its inception in Nepal, PIN has had a strong role advocating and addressing the needs of marginalized populations. This includes people who live in geographically remote areas of Nepal, people who are from historically marginalized ethnic groups, and those marginalized because of their age and/or gender identity (women and girls). More recently, PIN has also supported Nepal's post-earthquake reconstruction efforts ensuring that the most vulnerable people are not left behind. PIN is strongly committed for safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults, including people with disability, in line with its safeguarding framework and child protection policy.
Scope of Work
The Logistics Manager (LM) is member of country programme support staff who manages the operations of entire country programme and its offices in a way that the programmes can effectively deliver their objectives. The LM is responsible for the proper procurement process. The LM works closely with the Head of Systems and Operations (HoSO) and/or Country Director (CD) in order to set up an efficient and safe working living environment for all staff members. S/he provides leadership in specific technical areas of competence, such as recruitment and training of logistical staff. In order to deliver results, s/he operates within the logistics budget.
Reporting Relations & Interdependencies with Other Functions
The LM’s line manager is HoSO.
At country programme level, the LM is the line manager of Logistics Officers, external IT support, drivers, guards and other support staff. However, the LM shall also work closely with Head of Programmes and Finance Manager.
At headquarters (HQ) level, the LM works in cooperation with Head of Logistics, Security Advisor and with Procurement Officers who provide support and methodological guidance in respective fields. S/he also cooperates with Support Desk Officer (SDO)/Regional Admin in regards to staff movements between HQ and country programme, with Desk Officer (DO) in regards to coordination between the CP and the HQ and with Regional Head of Systems and Operations.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Logistics manager supervises all areas of logistics operations in the Country Programme (CP), namely fleet management, procurement, stock management, base management, IT and security.
- The LM reviews with programme staff projects’ to set or adjust operational solutions according to their needs;
- advises on procurement procedures in project’s procurement planning stage;
- coordinates and supports programme objectives through timely procurement of goods and services;
- coordinates and supports deliveries and distribution from warehouses;
- oversees effective transport planning and utilisation of project vehicles.
Human Resources & Capacity Development
- The LM participates in recruitment of logistics team;
- Trains, capacitates and supervises the logistics team in adherence to PIN logistics and procurement guidelines;
- manages evaluations and salary reviews of the logistics team;
- trains and supports programme staff in procurement procedures;
- oversees training of drivers.
- The LM oversees identification of suitable and reliable suppliers, vendors, providers and contractors of goods and services in support of programme implementation in accordance with PIN procurement guidelines;
- encourages and supports programme staff in proper planning of purchases in cooperation with HoSO and/or CD maintains measures to secure anti-corruption, transparency and cost efficiency perception of country programme procurement;
- manages procurement and purchases of programme items as well as office/compound items and services;
- oversees management of purchase requests and tender processes (creation of tender notices and tender folders, collection of bids, envelope opening sessions, approval of evaluation reports);
- enforces usage of all required forms, documents and approvals for procurement;
- oversees timely and systematic archiving of all documentation in ELO and maintains physical archiving of hard copies;
- oversees negotiations with local suppliers and contract management;
- maintains the database of PIN suppliers, controls application documents and verifies suppliers in databases, including the black list of suppliers;
- places orders with suppliers and ensure clear communication about delivery terms;
- assures that all purchase assets meet needs of the programs including technical inspection of assets.
- The LM follows the PIN’s Code of Conduct and the Key PIN Policies and educates his/her team on this matter especially in relation to procurement;
- assures compliance with donor procurement requirements;
- assures compliance with PIN administrative and procurement guidelines;
- follows, respects and encourages her/his team to use PIN’s administrative management systems ELO and NAVISION.
Safety & Security
- The LM knows and adheres to PIN Safety and Security Policy with all associated parts;
- is responsible for setting up safe working and living environment for all PIN staff;
- along with Security Officer acts as the country programme focal point for medical or other emergency.
Logistics & Administration
- The LM ensure safe, efficient and cost-effective transport of staff and materials/goods;
- in line with PIN’s Logistics handbook and Process manual, establishes accountable and functional supply chain logistics and warehousing systems, following PIN stock management guideline;
- supervises management of warehouses and stocks;
- supervises and ensures periodic stock counting and reconciliation with accounting and program departments;
- ensure rational vehicle utilization, maintenance, fuel consumption monitoring and controls systems;
- oversees smooth supply delivery to implementation areas/distributions;
- coordinates, supports and supervises field offices’ operational management;
- supervises drivers and ensures relevant training;
- cares for the technical aspects of the country programme, including offices and IT and initiates innovative solutions leading to improved operation;
- oversees functioning office management with all related services;
- ensures proper asset management in accordance with PIN Assets guideline;
- produces reports for the CP management and represents logistics department in the management;
- acts as an HQ focal point for all logistics and procurement related matters ;
- in cooperation with Finance Manager and with focus on efficiency, creates and oversees logistics budgets for office, warehouse, compound/guesthouse, fleet and transport management;
- follows up the payment process with the finance department to ensure obligations to suppliers are fulfilled;
- is in charge of regular monitoring of operational spending, based on which implements improvement so cost effectivity is always secured.
- Adhere and ensure adherence to PIN Code of Conduct and key policies including Child Protection Policy and Safeguarding Policy.
And fulfils any other tasks as required.
Required skills, qualification, knowledge and experiences
Experience years : more than 2 years on a similar position
Qualification: bachelor’s degree
Other Skills: managerial skills, teamwork skills, interpersonal skills, logical reasoning, organizational skills, numerical and analytical skills, decision-making skills, accountability, adaptability, attention to detail, ability to plan ahead and deal with unexpected changes, ability to motivate others, IT skills
Language: Nepali and English (proficient)
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter including two reference contacts from last two employments via email to email@example.com before 5 pm, 26 April 2019. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted immediately. No phone calls will be entertained.
PIN promotes equal opportunities. Women, Janajati and Dalit candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.