Advertised on behalf of :
Location : Kathmandu, NEPAL
Application Deadline : 21-Jan-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Gender Equality
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SC-4
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Apr-2020 Duration of Initial Contract : 1 Year Expected Duration of Assignment : One year with possiblity of extension
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Nepal, UN Women focuses on strengthening women’s voice, choice, agency and security across sectors to advance women’s rights, provide space for women’s meaningful participation and to demonstrate tangible differences in their lives. It is guided by Nepal’s stated priorities and its commitments to relevant normative frameworks , the country’s United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) 2018-2022, the CEDAW Concluding Observations (2018) and UN Women’s Corporate Strategic Plan 2018-2021.The programme promotes national ownership, capacity development and institutionalization, inclusiveness, coordination and partnerships, and knowledge generation and management, and seeks to prioritize engagement with and support to key duty bearers who are responsible for advancing Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE). The goal of the programme is to “achieve gender equality and social inclusion and empower women and girls in Nepal to realise their human rights.” The key strategies to achieve the goal include: (a) normative support for the development, reform and repeal or amendment of discriminatory laws using a CEDAW lens; (b) providing technical support and integrated policy advice to stakeholders to implement gender equality policies and action plans; (c) building institutional capacities at federal and local levels to promote gender-responsive governance, rule of law, prevention of violence and delivery of minimum essential services through innovations, long-term trainings, peer learning and focused workshops; and (d) advocacy and social mobilisation with excluded and vulnerable groups to build alliances and mobilise political will to drive public support for GEWE.
Reporting to the Head of Strategic Partnership and Resource Mobilisation (SPRM) Unit, the Communications Officer is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the NCO’s communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public.
The Communications Officer works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in the Nepal Country Office, HQ/Regional communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, private sectors, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide substantive support to the planning and design of external communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Provide analysis for elaboration of communication strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as necessary;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and provide analysis to RO/HQ;
- Provide inputs and support to the launch of in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events such as International Women’s Day and 16 Days of Activism against Gender Based Violence.
Coordinate and contribute substantively to the development and dissemination of advocacy materials
- Ensure timely production of quality communication products such as articles, photographs and videos to support implementation of NCO’s communication strategy, regional and global campaigns and resource mobilisation;
- Ensure development of at least two human interest story per month for UN Women websites;
- Draft briefing materials, and press releases and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Draft and edit articles for websites, donor reports and other publications;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Provide support in developing communication materials (i.e. social media graphics, infographics and presentations);
- Coordinate the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO.
Coordinate media relations for the NCO
- Coordinate the establishment of relevant relationships;
- Maintain list of relevant media and media persons. The list should cover disaggregated information by sex, geography, beats covered etc;
- Respond to inquiries for public and UN system information materials;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences and briefing session for press, as required;
- Draft talking points.
Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with different stakeholders to support resource mobilisation
- Maintain relationships with partners and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors, as delegated;
- Support NCO’s resource mobilisation activities through identifying / highlighting effective programme activities and results using strategic communication tools.
Manage the NCO’s web/ online presence
- Manage NCO’s websites’ content and maintenance based on corporate requirements;
- Manage NCO’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, resources.
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme goals and activities;
- Organize and conduct training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely updating of website and social media
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in Nepal
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Knowledge of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Knowledge of local country media landscape
- Communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- Experience in the use of social media;
- Graphic designing skills will be an asset;
- Fluency in English and Nepali is required;
Apply Link : https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=89397