The Provincial and Local Governance Support Programme (PLGSP) is the national flagship programme of the Government of Nepal (GoN) to build institutional, organizational and individual capacity at all levels of government, with special focus on the provincial and local levels. The ultimate goal of the programme is to attain functional, sustainable, inclusive and accountable provincial and local governance. The Programme aims to contribute to delivery of quality services at provincial and local levels, promote better local infrastructure and enhance economic prosperity. Over the period of four years, the Programme will achieve 14 outputs under the following three outcomes:
- Government institutions and inter-governmental mechanisms at all levels are fully functioning in support of federal governance as per the Constitution;
- Provincial and local governments have efficient, effective, inclusive and accountable institutions; and
- Elected representatives and civil servants at provincial and local governments have the capacity and to serve citizens to their satisfaction.
The Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration is the executive agency of the Programme. The seven provincial governments, the Local Development Training Academy, the 753 local governments, and the seven provincial level training centres (Provincial Centres for Good Governances) are the implementing agencies of the Programme. The programme is supported by international development partners, namely, the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DfID), the European Union (EU), the Government of Norway, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, and the United Nations.
To facilitate the provincial governments in the implementation of the Programme, a Provincial Programme Implementation Unit (PPIU) and a ‘Provincial Centre for Good Governance’ (PCGG) will be established by each provincial government. The PPIUs will serve the secretariat of the Programme at the provincial level and will be the link between the provincial governments and the Programme Coordination Unit at the federal level. The Provincial Programme Implementation Units (PPIUs) will be established in Office of the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers of respective provinces. The seven PPIUs are the main mechanisms to operationalize the programme support at the provincial levels, benefitting both provincial and local governments.
The Programme Assistants will work with the Provincial Centre for Good Governance at Province Level for the effective and efficient implementation of the programme activities in districts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the head of the PCGG Executive Director, the Programme Assistant will provide necessary assistance in day to day logistic and secretariat support for the implementation of the project activities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
The Programme Assistant will;
- Provide programme and administrative support into arranging programme activities, including supporting programme implementation officers in preparation of budget, arranging venues, materials;
- Assist with programme related procurement of services/goods and ensuring adherence to policy and guideline;
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements required for the successful planning and delivery of technical workshops, inter-agency meetings, panel discussions, roundtables, missions, and other events;
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Compile relevant background materials and prepares briefs and summaries;
- Maintain information/databases of project beneficiaries and activities and provide reports on specific stages of project implementation;
- Provide administrative support to the executing agencies / responsible parties on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.;
- Maintain record of office purchase goods, received goods from other sources both expendable and non-expendable items;
- Handle and properly maintain the computer, photocopy fax email and other facilities available in the office;
- Processing and follow up to e- mails, letters, reports and other jobs assigned by Provincial coordinator and Programme Coordination Unit;
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle; and
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Handle petty cash and reimbursement of petty cash bills from Programme Management;
- Be responsible to maintain all financial transactions by keeping proper accounts, invoices of the regular expenditures;
- Assist support annual audit exercise commissioned by UNDP and MoFAGA and support PCGG in proper maintaining of administration and financial system as per the NIM and management system of programme;
- Ensure GESI considerations are incorporated in the project activities and project budget is made GESI Responsive;
- Facilitate in creating an environment to address GESI issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe, cost-effective and timely execution of the programme.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the Government of Nepal and UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Government of Nepal and UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Good inter-personal skills;
- Clear and upfront communication skills;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
- Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
- Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
- Focuses on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem solving approach;
- Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability ;
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time ;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others.
- Demonstrate ability to identify and anticipate bottlenecks, as well as seek guidance;
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality concerning financial and employee files;
- Ability to organize and complete assignments within deadlines;
- Integrity and impartiality, ability to work with external partners e.g. supplier, vendors, service providers;
- Ability to convey difficult issues and positions to senior officials proactively seek guidance and make clear recommendations to line managers;
- Dynamic and results-oriented;
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to draft short memos and conduct presentations;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; can multi task;
- Willing to work long hours;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behaviour highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to arrangement of meetings, office and vehicle maintenance and general administration work;
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented vehicle records confirming to the required standard.
Required Skills and Experience
- Intermediate Level in Management, Accounts, Economics or related fields
- Bachelor’s Degree will be preferred
- Three years of experience for Bachelor’s Degree and five years for Intermediate Level in the field of office management including financial management skills
- Good Knowledge of English, fluency in the language of the duty station
- Good commands of computer skills on Microsoft Office (Word, excel and Power Point etc.)