Background Information - Job-specific
Following the devastating earthquakes of 2015, UNOPS has been deeply engaged in various activities supporting the Government of Nepal in the assessment of damaged buildings and enrollment of beneficiaries into housing grant schemes. UNOPS is expanding its footprint in post-earthquake reconstruction and aims to support the Government of Nepal in the Education sector to reconstruct schools in remote earthquake affected districts.
According to MoE-CLPIU over 9,000 school buildings were affected across the country due to devastating 2015 earthquake in Nepal. In total, 21,169 classrooms completely collapsed, 12,522 classrooms were severely damaged and 15,990 classrooms were damaged partially.
The construction of the 3,785 buildings with 13,917 rooms has been completed and 1,906 buildings with 15,158 classrooms are under construction (MoE-CLPIU-2018). This clearly indicates the massive gap in school building reconstruction.
Post-Earthquake School Reconstruction in Nepal, Bridging the Gap in Remote areas Project:
The underlying causes of huge damages during the earthquake could be numerated extensively. However inadequate seismic design measures, building standard non-compliance, incompetent workmanship and insufficient quality management are keys to such horrible devastation. The project will assure to address all these root causes of failure so that to contribute to resilient community.
Contextually, broader school building reconstruction need is further classified into; i) Reconstruction of the class rooms, ii) Retrofitting of the partially damaged classrooms and iii) Enhancement of the school buildings, site and learning environment by promoting Minimum Enabling Conditions.
The purpose of this position is to support Project Manager to prepare drawings as instructed by the design engineer.
- Support Project Manager to produce free-hand sketches to clarify those given by Architectural-, Structural-, Water Supply-, Sanitation-, Electrical-, Communication- and other UNOPS experts.
- Support Project Manager to produce Architectural Plans, Structural Plans, Water Supply and Sanitation Plans, Power and Communication Plans as well as their details using AutoCAD based on the designs prepared by UNOPS experts.
- Printing and reproduction of the plans and maps using colour and monochrome plotters.
- Arrange for compilation and storing of the plans in hard and soft copy.
- Support Project Manager to prepare documentation for municipal approval and coordinate with municipal officials for design approval.
- Diploma in Civil or Architectural Engineering is required.
- 3 years’ experience on drawing and detailing of non-residential buildings is required;
- Experience in 2D and 3D AutoCAD as well as common office software is required;
- Experience of using REVIT software will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of English and Nepali is required
- Training on CAD software is highly desirable
- Training on REVIT software is desirable
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA 5
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- This post is open to Nepal nationals only.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
View Apply Link : https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=17122#6