Duties and Accountabilities:
The Agricultural Specialist will assist the GFADR Practice Manager covering South-Asia in the delivery of the work program, assurance of quality, interaction with internal and external clients, including the private sector, staff development and partnerships. The primary responsibility of the Agriculture Specialist will be to provide technical and strategic support to the development and implementation of GFADR’s work program in Nepal. In doing so, s/he will work closely with the Country Director and the CMU, including the Global Practice Program Leader.
In particular, the Agricultural Specialist will:
• Contribute to policy dialogue on agricultural and rural issues and interactions with the client and partners, and alert management (both country and sector) to issues requiring attention;
• Lead/initiate/participate in analytical and strategic work pertaining to agricultural growth and productivity, including work managed by GFADR and that managed by other GPs, but requiring input from agricultural staff, such as public expenditure analysis;
• Assume an active role in the Nepal country team with the aim to ensure adequate and appropriate integration of relevant aspects of the agriculture and rural development agenda in core Bank products, including country assistance strategy, country economic memorandum and the like.
• Contribute to, and where necessary take leadership of, key operations important to the agricultural sector, both within the portfolios within GFADR, and as cross-support to operations in other GPs. Assure timely delivery of these operations with high levels of quality;
• Serve as an active member of the GFADR team in SAR, contributing to the Region’s strategic scale up of support for agricultural productivity.
• Participate in collaborative and coordination efforts with local donors to optimize synergy with Bank supported projects and programs and to leverage IDA resources where feasible.
• Participate in the dialogue with relevant representatives of the private sector in order to keep abreast with issues related to the business investment climate and identify possible areas of collaboration through public-private-partnerships.
• Postgraduate degree in Agricultural Sciences or related discipline;
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in agriculture;
• Strong technical and analytical skills in a range of issues of relevance to agriculture;
• In-depth knowledge of the issues faced by smallholders participating in modern value chains;
• Recognized and respected by peers; demonstrated commitment to team work and ability to interact effectively and collegially with peers at all levels;
• Familiarity with the institutional context of Nepal, and experience interacting with institutions involved in agriculture and rural development;
• Familiarity with Bank procedures, directives, business practices and experience in identifying, preparing, appraising, and supervising operations, as a task team leader or team member;
• Ability to think innovatively and strategically in dealing with policy issues while maintaining a strong client focus;
• Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and team skills with ability to think innovatively and strategically to find balanced, pragmatic and implementable solutions;
• High degree of discretion, ethics, tact and sensitivity in handling confidential and sensitive information;
• Ability to work under pressure while retaining perspective and a sense of humor;
• Very high level of energy, initiative and self-motivation, coupled with willingness to travel extensively and work under challenging conditions;
• English essential.
• General Economic Knowledge and Analytical Skills - Possesses Cross-country knowledge in economic specialty and demonstrates ability to link the macro, institutional, and micro-level behaviors; able to support findings/policy recommendations with credible analysis and tools.
• Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena - Translates technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and contributions to country and sector strategies; interacts with clients at the policy level.
• Policy Dialogue Skills - Anticipates needs and requests in the field and conducts independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners.
• Integrative Skills - Understands relevant cross-sectoral areas how they are interrelated; able to undertake cross-sectoral work in lending and non-lending operations.
• Agricultural Economics - Deep understanding of most of the economic concepts used in agriculture, with significant experience.
• Agriculture Policy, Strategy and Institutions - Solid understanding of agriculture policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
• Project Design for Impact and Sustainability - IL - Contributes to the design of projects and programs, based on an understanding of the country and sector context.
• Sector Dialogue - IL - Able to conduct a dialogue with the client on familiar topics, with a narrow scope, based on a solid understanding of the sector.
• Operational Project Management - Demonstrates in depth knowledge and understanding of project management tools & methodologies, as well as of Bank instruments and processes related to project preparation & implementation, resource management, and stakeholder communications.
• Operational Policies Application to the Project Cycle (fiduciary, disbursement, safeguard and GAC policies) - IL - Possesses a strong understanding of procurement and disbursement policies; knows what issues might arise and who to involve in problem resolution.
• Team Leadership - Leads teams to achieve challenging outcomes, providing a role model and enhancing the team-leadership skills of team members.
• Knowledge of Relevant Operational Policy and Associated Good Practices - DPL - Has a solid understanding of all aspects of OP 8.60 and associated Good Practice Notes; has experience in designing DPOs.
• Knowledge of Relevant Bank Procedures and Associated Guidance - DPL - Has a solid understanding of all aspects of BP 8.60 and associated Good Practice Notes; has experience in designing DPOs.
• ESW/TA Policy, Strategic and Technical Analysis for Country/Sector Issues - Participates fully in the production of quality AAA work and policy papers, leveraging relevant analytical tools and a grasp of issues surrounding policy and sector reform.
• Client Orientation - Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
• Drive for Results - Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.