Purpose of the job:
The Programme Officer will lead the implementation of Practical Answers programme in Nepal.
Key Result Areas:
1. Manage Practical Answers programme including financial management
2. Practical Answers partnership management including developing implementation and partnership modality and capacity development of the partners and staff
3. Develop innovative concepts and projects to expand Practical Answers services
4. Explore new partners and expand Practical Answers in Nepal
5. Design activities to build-in Practical Answers components in Practical Action's projects and Practical Action Consulting
6. Identify and develop partnership with potential knowledge partners and engage in knowledge network to promote Practical Answer Service
7. Analyse knowledge need/gap of the target audience and design appropriate knowledge/technical briefs to respond to the needs
8. Analyse data, prepare reports and collect stories
9. Represent Practical Answers where necessary
10. Provide technical inputs to implement Practical Answers components in various sector specific (Energy, Agriculture, WASH, DRR) projects
11. Undertake any other tasks as directed by the Head of Programme Funding and Communications
- BachelorsDegree (Masters Degree preferred) in relevant subject (Development Communications or Knowledge Management, Agriculture, DRR and have at least five years of experience in knowledge management, strategic communications, and project management.
· Strong project management skills
· Fluent in spoken and written English and Nepali
· Good knowledge and experience of participatory approaches in project development and implementation
· Willingness and enthusiasm for working with multidisciplinary team
· Willingness to visit project sites to support project staff
Planning and Organising
Is able to prioritise, plan and organize project/programe activities effectively. Is able to build alternative actions into plans.Reviews priorities. Is able to gather and deploy resources effectively.
Is able to respond effectively to the unexpected. Is able to identify current or future problems or opportunities
Takes timely decisions.Knows when to consult and when to proceed.Follows through on implementation.Communicates decision.Is able to identify key issues in complex problems.Gathers information from multiple sources.Considers alternative courses of action.
Able to synthesize information, learns and shares with others. Recognises value of sharing knowledge and takes personal responsibility for doing so.
Works co-operatively with others as opposed to working separately.Is aware of issues that may affect the work of others.Shares ideas and information to find the best way.
Seeks to understand people’s underlying issues and motives that drive behaviour.Is sensitive to cultural differences.Responds appropriately to different situations.
Drive for the Results
Seeks better ways of doing things, improves on status quo, creates energy and enthusiasm. Willing to take ownership to exceed expectations
Sees the big picture rather than narrow focus of own specialism.Can make connections that are not readily apparent.Questions assumptions.Is able to generate new ideas and approaches.
Contract period: Initially for two years (with possibility of extension)
Work station: Regional Office, Kathmandu (with frequent field visits)