Vacancy Notice No: VN#NP/12/16
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : National Officer
Duty Station : Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification : General Service Staff, NOC
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed Term with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : November 16, 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, the incumbent will be performing duties aimed at ensuring policy coherence and strategic support and coordination to the Mission, Government of Nepal (GON) and IOM partners. He/she will assist the chief of mission to design and develop strategies, programmes and project initiatives that are consistent to promoting and advancing IOM’s goals and objectives. He/she will oversee and coordinate a variety of projects within the Labour Migration and Human Development portfolio of the Mission. This includes but is not limited to developing, coordinating, managing the domains of migrants protection and wellbeing, labour migration and human development, in partnership and collaboration with the GoN, the donor community and other key stakeholders; She/he will be responsible to deliver high quality services to the target communities and partners. In particular the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate and manage the project: ‘Assessment of Women Migrant workers in South Asia in the implementation of Standard terms of employment, regional project on assessing the climate change, environmental degradation and migration nexus in South Asia’, in coordination with the relevant missions and the regional office in Bangkok with the support of the migration team in Nepal.
2. Advise and support the Chief of Mission to coordinate and monitor migration management projects in the domains of Labour Migration, Migration and Development, Climate Change and Migration, trafficking and assistance to vulnerable migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
3. Develop and implement the Mission’s strategy to consolidate and expand the programme, in particular for the development of an overall and cohesive migration policy and the establishment of relevant action plans.
4. Lead and supervise staffs, provide regular guidance and support for implementation of tasks to relevant colleagues working for the implementation of projects on migration management, migrants’ protection and human development.
5. Provide programming support and guidance to the staff managing other portfolios on labour migration, migration and development and return assistance to the migrants.
6. Serve as the mission focal point for the development and implementation of transnational and multi mission projects in the areas of his/her purview to liaise and correspond with relevant regional missions, the regional office and HQ.
7. Assist and advise the COM on identifying areas/ideas for future development and develop concept ideas, coordinate and explore with potential donors on a migration management team.
8. Ensure timely development of work-plans, reports and establishment of internal monitoring tools and regular progress reporting mechanisms, including timely planning, implementation of internal reviews and budgetary expenditure and results.
9. Coordinate and produce periodic reports as per the project and program
requirements. Policy and Advisory/Liaison with the GON
10. Maintain and ensure regular liaison and communication with the relevant Nepali institutions, involved with migration policy and implementation, include but not limited to the Ministry of Labor, the National Planning Commission, the Parliament and the other relevant bodies and commissions.
11. Review and analyze country specific plans and documents, policies and priorities related to migration management and provide briefings and advice the Chief of Mission on the most appropriate course of action.
12. Represent IOM in the relevant forums such as the Kathmandu Migration Group (KMG), UNDAF, SAGS and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) working group.
13. Act as Gender Focal Point for the Mission and ensure gender and social, PSEA inclusion and streamlining across the programmes and offices.
14. Explore, develop and coordinate relevant areas of policy and research within the scope of the Mission program.
15. Act as IOM focal point for the internalization, mainstream and operationalize of SDG in National policies and processes, including annual budget and three year development plan.
16. Act as an IOM focal point in Liaison with the SAARC Secretariat and relevant IOM regional missions, partner agencies, and in particular on the follow up for the endorsement and implementation of the Plan of Action on migration.
17. Perform and assist with any other activities/duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Only Nepali Nationals will be considered for this position.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 November 2016. Only short listed candidates will be called for interview.