Vacancy code: VA/2016/B5516/9856
Position title: Language Assistant/Translator (Re-advertisement)
Department/office: AR, BKK, Nepal
Duty station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Contract level: LICA-5
Duration: 3 Months with possibility of extension
Application period: 05-Apr-2016 to 19-Apr-2016
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS is expanding its operational support in South Asia and has recently established its presence in Nepal with two recent projects signed with DFiD and the World Bank supporting Nepal Government Institutions. UNOPS will provide advisory and technical assistance services with its expertise in Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure, as well as providing capacity building to key stakeholders. The initial projects are located across the country in more than 40 districts of Nepal, while the major project team will work from UNOPS Kathmandu-based country office.
For one of the high-impact projects, UNOPS is working together with the World Bank and the Government of Nepal to support the Nepal Housing Reconstruction. The project will assess up to 900,000+ rural residential families and is part of a large-scale international response to the post-earthquake recovery. The overall objective of the project is to facilitate the recovery in the Earthquake affected Districts of Nepal through surveys that will ascertain the damage to the housing stock and identify households eligible for grant assistance.
Under the supervision of the Training Advisor (and/or the designated official) the incumbent of the post will perform the following duties:
· Undertake a range of translation and interpretation assignments in English and from English into Nepali, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained;
· Provide accurate and complete versions of documents, such as magazine articles, legal documents, official letters, reports, manuscripts, publications and other material, using the most appropriate range of vocabulary commonly accepted and according to grammar, punctuation and mechanics of the target language (English or Nepali);
· Proofread, edit and correct translations in order to provide a high quality translation;
· Meet deadlines as established by the Supervisor;
· Maintain administrative work in connection with all translation assignments;
· Assist in the preparation for presentations;
· Assist in maintaining close contacts with the government, executing agency, project partners, and other counterparts through direct contacts, collection and summarizing of information, proposals, incoming and outgoing documents, drafting letters;
· Supervise collecting the data and other information for project activities; maintaining, logging, filing and updating records in prescribed format for subsequent use;
· Assist in the organization of and logistical preparation for workshops, seminars, presentations, etc;
· Perform other related duties as required.
· Communication Skills
· Organising and Quality
· Teamwork Skills
· Motivation and Inspiration
· Highly proficient in professional translation experience organizational and administrative work
· Excellent English skills, both written and verbal
· Working knowledge of MS Office packages (MS Project especially)
· Proven organizational, negotiation and problem solving skills
· Is able to demonstrate attention to detail and patience
· Ability to overcome challenges and work in difficult work environments/conditions
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
· Ability to work independently and to communicate clearly both orally and in writing
· Provision of quality outputs within agreed timeframes
· Ability to work in a multicultural team
· Secondary school education with at least five years of relevant experience; or
· Diploma certificate with at least three years of relevant experience; or
· A Bachelor’s Degree with one year of relevant experience.
· Certificate in translation, or relevant subject, an asset.
· At least 3 years of experience within Translation, Editing and Interpretation;
· Advanced skills in basic computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
· Fluency in written and spoken Nepali and English plus Typing of translations;
· Having good Confidentiality, Negotiation skills, Commitment, Analytical skills and Temperament;
· Provide dubbing services for video, audio or other multi-media transmissions and promotional tools as needed.
· Excellent working knowledge of English and Nepali both written and verbal.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Contract level: LICA - 5
Contract duration: 3 (Three) Months with possibility of extension
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
· Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
· Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
· Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
· Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
· For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
· This post is open only to nationals of Nepal.
· The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
THIS IS A RE-ADVERTISEMENT. CANDIDATES WHO HAVE APPLIED TO THE PREVIOUS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (VA/2016/B5516/9734) NEED NOT RE-APPLY.