Duties and Responsibilities
The key Responsibilities of the assignment are:
- Effective supervision and management of the Information Management Unit.
- Information made available for informed decision-making.
- Key information and analysis collected and disseminated.
- Joint UNCT Website.
- Common UNCT communication policy and strategy to support coordination designed and implemented.
1. Effective supervision and management of the IMU
- Head and manage the information management unit and all activities related to reporting, public information, media relations and information management;
- Supervise the information management activities of the UNRCO – including those it performs on behalf of the UN Country Team and International Development Partners’ Group - to ensure improved information flow within the office as well as with partners;
- Documentation and communication of the various tasks of the Information Management Unit and its role in supporting Nepal’s Transition Support Strategy, so that lessons learned can be replicated in other countries.
2. Information made available for informed decision-making
- Develop and maintain a client-oriented approach with all relevant stakeholders to help identify their information requirements. Ensure that the information needed to support programmes and the coordination role of the UNRCO is collected, submitted, organized and made available to all stakeholders in-country and regionally;
- Actively assist in strategic and operational decision-making by coordinating the processing and analysis of data and information and presenting it in the format most useful for decision makers;
- Design and develop information management systems to help collect and analyze data supporting the effective implementation of the UNRCO results framework.
3. Key information and analysis collected and disseminated
- Liaise closely with relevant stakeholders to support more coherent information collection, analysis and dissemination;
- Together with other relevant staff of the UNRCO, design and implement a structured dissemination plan for all information products and services (e.g. reports, data, maps) through, hard copy, websites, facebook, twitter etc.;
- Serve as focal point within the humanitarian and development community for information exchange and support the promotion of data and information sharing protocols, such as SHARE standards and the use of standardized metadata, as well as data standards;
- Manage the data collection, data entry and use of standardized systems to support humanitarian operations and development initiatives. These standardized databases include but are not limited to 3Ws, Contacts Directory;
- Provide training to staff in the UNRCO on information systems and standards and keep the team abreast of latest information technology.
4. Joint UNCT Website
- Support the development and ensure regular maintenance and running of the joint UNCT website. This includes technical support and making sure the UNCT website is a lively, well organized website with varied and interesting information.
Any other related duties as reasonably requested by the RC/HC or the Head of the UNRCO
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 2: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies.
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration.
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals.
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
- Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 2: Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda.
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners.
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetin
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 2: Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals.
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations.
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking.
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor.
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 2: Implementing resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach.
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned.
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 2: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches.
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 2: In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 2: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level.
Level 2: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs.
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider.
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective.
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents.
- Building support and political acumen.
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams.
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication.
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization.
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards.
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Master’s degree in communication, journalism, public relations, Information Management, Information technology, Computer Science), or in other related field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience in information management, public information or in any related field of expertise.
- Ability to translate concepts and information in clear visual manners.
- Ability to write concisely.
- Experience working in a complicated setting that requires political astuteness, sound judgment, and operational flexibility.
- Experience working with the media
- Ability to communicate clearly with people from a different technical background
Fluency in English and Nepali.