Job Title: Media and Communications Coordinator
No. of Openings: One
Closing Date: 20 May 2021
Location: Amnesty International Nepal, Balaju, Kathmandu
Line Manager: Section Director
Other key relationships :
- Campaigns, Membership and HRE Unit
- International, Regional and National Media
- Amnesty International’s Communicaiton, Media and Law and Policy Units
- South Asia Regional Office Team
- Communciation staff across the AI Sections
- Campaigns staff
- National Board, Groups, Youth Networks and members
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB:
To lead, facilitate and support Amnesty International Nepal (AI Nepal)’s media and communications work in order to advance the organization’s human rights goals and raise awareness of AI’s works to promote and protect human rights, to support AI’s global campaigns, and to attract a growing number of members, supporters and donors to the movement.
AI Nepal’s Media and Communications Department is responsible for promoting and supporting a culture of effective and coordinated media and communications work across AI Nepal and the movement. The programme drives and maintains consistent presentation of Amnesty International’s name and message in the media and oversees media strategy, content, delivery and targeting of Amnesty International’s message in the print and electronic media.
- Initiate and generate press coverage in the national and international media that supports Amnesty International’s local and regional, thematic and mobilization projects and campaigns;
- Design, implement and evaluate innovative and effective media and public relations strategies and work plans in order to secure and increase media coverage for Amnesty International’s work in Nepal;
- Implement a media relations programme featuring pro-active media liaison, pitching Amnesty International stories and spokespeople, organizing interviews, providing media briefings, writing op-eds and responding to requests, according to news value, defined target audiences, timing and impact;
- Identify opportunities from Amnesty International’s planned media work and from external news events to secure quality coverage with print and broadcast media contacts in order to secure immediate and long-term media coverage;
- Develop, in consultation with relevant teams, a strategy for media relations leveraging social media opportunities for on AI Nepal;
- Monitor and report on AI Nepal’s media profile as well as on current and emerging issues, making recommendations for future media work that ensures AI Nepal’s media work is balanced and able to respond to external developments;
- Organize media activities including press conferences and media briefings and provide media support to Amnesty International research and campaigns;
- Strengthen AI Nepal’s media profile by identifying need and assisting in implementation of media training and to act as spokesperson for the organization, as agreed;
- Undertake crisis media work including ensuring timely AI Nepal media response to key external and internal events;
- Ensure Amnesty International’s and AI Nepal’s media work is consistent with the organization’s strategies and priorities with work plans geared for optimum impact;
- Contribute to the development and strengthening of the global network of media workers, including those located in Nepal, through the development and provision of media materials which support consistent and timely messaging;
- Carry out own administrative task related to the post in accordance with the guidelines on self-servicing and to provide coverage for team members as required;
- Monitor progress and adherence to agreed standards, including establishing systems to ensure accountability and reporting;
- Design, edit and produce materials and publications in coordination with other department of AI Nepal;
- To develop realistic and appropriate production and activity budgets for the consideration and approval of the Director;
- To manage the portfolio of work within the agreed budget and keep accurate track of expenses;
- To report any changes or deviations in the agreed budget immediately to the Director for consideration and approval;
- To perform any other task as designated by the Section Director.
- Shows professional integrity by modeling Amnesty International’s values and standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of Amnesty International;
- Displays a respect for diversity and is adaptable at plural operating spaces;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Ability to conduct strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead monitoring of management projects;
- Ability to lead business process;
- Ability to affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change;
- Proven ability to coordinate complex programs with diverse range of partners;
- Ability to analyze and apply social media concepts to the local development field;
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of the programme, managing data, reporting;
Analytical and strategic thinking/results orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters’ Degree in Journalism or any other related filed
- At least five years of relevant working experience in the media sector;
- Ability to manage changing or conflicting priorities and operate effectively within a demanding work environment;
- Ability to communicate clearly;
- Ability to coordinate and motivate members in a team and generate and maintain the team spirit;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Nepali.
Written applications in the given format should be submitted by 17:00 hrs. 20 May 2021 by email to: email@example.com
AI Nepal is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture and highly encourages individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Only short listed applicants will be contacted for the interview. AI Nepal reserves the exclusive right to revoke or cancel the VA without any notice. Any attempt of canvassing or influence during the entire process of recruitment will lead to automatic disqualification.