Practical Action is an INGO which aims to reduce poverty through wider use of appropriate technologies in the developing world. Registered in the UK, Practical Action works in more than 45 countries through its offices in the UK, Bangladesh, Bolivia, India, Kenya, Malawi, Nepal, Peru, Rwanda, Senegal, Sudan and Zimbabwe. With above 50 years of expertise, Practical Action has a strong heritage and track record of bringing communities and experts together to find practical, sustainable solutions to enable people meet their needs, which work for both people and the planet. Practical Action works to improve lives of around one million people every year through access to energy, sustainable agriculture, water, sanitation, hygiene and waste management, and disaster risk reduction. We seek to recruit a ‘Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist’ to work in Practical Action Nepal Office.
The incumbent shall directly report to the Thematic Lead – Sustainable Agriculture and Markets. S/he shall have the primary responsibility and accountability to support the organisation to deliver and achieve the objectives related to gender and social inclusion integration from mainstreaming to transformative approach in its programmes and projects. Support Thematic Leads by providing strategic inputs and support the Programme Delivery in GESI related issues. The minimum qualifications required are Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Development Studies or similar discipline with thorough knowledge of Gender and Social inclusiveness and minimum five years of related work experience.
In South Asia, Practical Action works directly in Nepal and India with potential for extending consultancy work to other neighbouring countries. This is a regional role that covers our work across Nepal and India as well as other countries where relevant. Practical Action Consulting (PAC) – PAC is a private development consulting wing of Practical Action that scale up the learning of Practical Action charity.
In our current strategic business plan, we expect to focus on Disaster Risk Reduction and Energy in both Nepal and India, Energy in both countries, Agriculture in Nepal and WASH in India. Across all our work, we aim to achieve impact at scale using our Framework for Change. This involves an in-depth analysis of the nature, scale and source of the challenge, defining the change we want to bring about in the system and in people’s lives and using our three pathways to demonstrate what works, learn and use knowledge and evidence to inspire others to adopt similar approaches. Technology is at the core of what we do with a focus on climate change and digital technology. We pay special attention to gender across all our work recognizing that gender relations and inequalities are fundamental causes of poverty.
The Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) Coordinator plays a vital role in ensuring that we systematically and consistently integrate gender and inclusion in all areas of our work and shall report to the Thematic Lead – Sustainable Agriculture and Markets. S/he shall be matrix managed by the Thematic Lead – Energy and Thematic Lead – DRR.
The GESI Coordinator will be accountable to:
• Work closely with other team members to assess and identify key GESI issues in all thematic areas
• Support colleagues to prepare annual GESI action plans in all thematic areas
• Provide strategic support in the area of GESI to accomplish thematic change ambition
• Provide support on mainstreaming GESI issues in project development including project design and implementation
• Ensure and support the organisation to deliver on a viable plan to achieve the objectives of gender and social inclusion integration from mainstreaming to transformative approach in its programmes and projects in alignment to the strategy
• Review, propose and implement the GESI Strategy
• Ensure alignment with our global approach as one Practical Action
• Build and foster an organisational culture of collaboration, learning and a focus on gender impact
• Work collaboratively with leaders and managers to advance gender and inclusion across all areas of their work
The GESI Coordinator will provide support across all five core areas of the strategy:
• achieve change and impact
• strengthen organisational profile
• lead and manage people
• support generation of funds and manage relationships
• deliver performance
Submit a cover letter together with the duly filled standard application form (which can be found under the Downloads tab on this page) to email@example.com by 13 November 2018.
Female candidates and candidates from marginalised groups are encouraged to apply.
Practical Action is committed to safeguarding and expects all staff and all those acting on behalf of Practical Action to demonstrate and share this commitment.