Swisscontact is a leading organization for the implementation of international development projects. We promote inclusive economic, social, and ecological development to make an effective contribution toward sustainable and widespread prosperity in developing and emerging economies. The independent, non-profit, private foundation was established in 1959 in Switzerland. In Nepal, Swisscontact is registered as an INGO that started its operations in 1991. Currently, Swisscontact Nepal (SCN) has five ongoing development programmes across different provinces of the country. Swisscontact invites applications from committed and experienced Nepali citizens for the following position for the Step-Up project.
Admin and HR Officer (1)
Location: One Admin and HR Officer, Lalitpur based with occasional visits to the field.
Reports to: Head of Business Administration (HBA) Time: 100% (8 hours a day and 5 days a week).
Duration: One year with the possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance
Purpose of the Job
The position, under the supervision and guidance of HBA, will ensure smooth operation of the Administration and Human Resource (HR) Management functions of Step-Up project in accordance with Swisscontact’s rules and regulations including donor’s requirements. The position will also support in operational tasks and government liaison functions for Swisscontact Nepal office as and when required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Country office / Step Up Project (under supervision of HBA)
a) Human Resource Management
• Conduct HR processes in accordance with Swisscontact Nepal Employee Manual.
• Maintain personnel files, and human resources record by recording new hires, transfers, terminations, changes in job classifications, merit increases, tracking vacation, sick, and personal time.
• Ensure probation/yearly assessments are conducted timely and filed into the employee’s personal file.
• Ensure proper recruitment process, timely renewal of contract, and termination of staff.
• Responsible for planning and ensuring systematic induction for all new staff.
• Ensure proper record keeping of the personal files of all employees.
• Ensure resignation letters are received for employees who intend to leave. Nepal We create opportunities www.swisscontact.org/en/country/nepal
• Support to conduct proper recruitment process, participate in the Recruitment and Selection process, responsible for the logistics management of recruitment (preparation of meeting room, invitation of candidates, informing the interview panel, preparation of evaluation sheets, etc.).
• Follow up for the clearance and ensure the final settlement is done within the standard agreed timeline.
• Handle employee grievances within the project, formally and informally, forward them to HBA and follow up for resolution.
b) Administrative Management
• Oversee and administer the day-to-day activities of the office.
• Supervise the Admin Assistant, Office Assistant, and Drivers of Step UP ensuring smooth operation of administrative functions, including assigning workload and monitoring employee performance.
• In collaboration with the Senior Finance Officer of Step UP and HBA, prepare contracts/agreements in accordance with Swisscontact’s rules and regulations.
• Arrange official invitation letters for incoming guests and visitors as well as for staff members going for international visits.
• Make daily monitoring of the physical office workspace to ensure office logistic arrangements, office equipment, and infrastructure are in good condition for the smooth day-to-day operation of the office.
• Support to prepare correspondence, memos, reports, presentations, minutes of office meetings, and emails to local counterparts, donors, or other related offices or agencies in relation to the office operations
• Update the filling system and manage to file of the admin/HR documents in both hard and electronic copies.
• Monitor vehicle mobilization and ensure upkeeping of logbook, fuel and maintenance, analysis of vehicle run cost, and suggest timely for necessary improvements.
• Review the safety and security status of office premises and advise HBA on any potential risks.
• Ensure and manage the travels and accommodation of field visits, national and international workshops, and seminars.
• Ensure all staff has required insurance as per the Swisscontact Nepal Employee manual.
• Liaise with Government Ministries as per the need of the project.
c) Procurement and Inventory Management
• Perform all procurement related activities such as process purchase requisitions, invitation of quotations, request for proposals, preparation of comparison chart and procurement contract, prepare work orders, negotiate contract terms and conditions, and maintain supplier relationships.
• Responsible for proper inventory management and record-keeping of all fixed assets, insurance of assets, involved in the reconciliation of physical stock, prepare reports on adjustments done to inventories that may be damaged, spoilt, etc., conduct physical verification of inventory.
• Ensure procurement and inventory management also complies with Swisscontact Operation Manual and donor’s requirements.
d) Other tasks
• Conduct any other task assigned by the HBA broadly in line with the job profile of an Admin and HR Officer.
• Act as the focal person for security-related matters for Step UP.
Qualification, Experience and Skills
The individual must possess these skills and abilities and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of skills and abilities.
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration or equivalent with a concentration in HR will be preferable
• Minimum of three years of work experience in the admin and HR field in the development sector with donor agencies, international and national NGOs.
• Advanced communication skills in both English and Nepali (verbal and written). www.swisscontact.org/en/country/nepal
• Strong knowledge and background in admin, human resources operations, and communications.
• Excellent analytical, and management skills and a team player.
• Demonstrated administrative, financial, personnel management, and communications capacities.
• Ability to influence, communicate, co-operate, and negotiate with a wide range of people and organisations (including government) at all levels with tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to cultural differences.
• Excellent time management, problem-prevention, and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work accurately with close attention to detail, and to meet deadlines.
• Ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
• Demonstrate a high level of ethical behavior.
• Competent IT skills, including experience in Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
• Willingness and ability to travel within and outside Nepal.
Working Conditions and Environment
▪ This will be applicable in accordance with the Swisscontact Staff Manual.
Please submit your current CV with at least two referees, a Job Application Form, and a cover letter to email@example.com latest by 5 July 2022. Please mention the position applied for in the "subject" line of your email. Swisscontact Nepal shall not entertain any phone inquiries or other such solicitations for the position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the selection process. Swisscontact Nepal reserves the right to reject any or all applications. Swisscontact Nepal promotes workforce diversity and applies positive discrimination to candidates from discriminated groups (Women, Dalit, Janajati, Madhesi/Terai and other minority communities).
Swisscontact supports economic, social and ecological development of South Asia by implementing projects which enable people to improve their living conditions on their own initiatives. Swisscontact has been engaged in international development cooperation in the region since 1962, when it started working in Chandigarh, India and established the Indo-Swiss Training Centre. Gradually, Swisscontact expanded operations across Bangladesh in 1979, Pakistan and Sri Lanka in 1980 and Nepal in 1990.
At present, Swisscontact South Asia has the largest portfolio of development projects in Bangladesh and the office located in Dhaka functions as the South Asia Regional Office (SARO). Swisscontact also maintains a country office in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Swisscontact aims to further strengthening its presence in South Asia whilst building and maintaining strong networks with private businesses; public agencies; micro, small and medium enterprises; non-governmental organisations and civil society; bi- and multi-lateral donor agencies and host governments.